top of page

How are Colombians informed between the media and networks?

Social networks lead the capture of audiences, with 72%; television is second, with 55%; and the press reaches 28%, according to the Reuters Institute Digital News Report.

Rating
Image taken from larepublica.co

The result of a globalized world has been, among many others, rivers of information spread through channels such as television, the written press, radio and of course, social networks. But, how much is really consumed each? How have the audiences been distributed among the new players?


The latest Reuters Institute Digital News report puts the internet above any other medium. In the case of Colombia, the proportion is that for every 10 people, eight use this channel to obtain information (without excluding the use of other traditional media). But if only the reach of the networks is reviewed, the report shows that they have captivated 72% of the audiences. Facebook is the leader in terms of news dissemination, used by 65% of Colombians; WhatsApp is second, with 40% participation, and the top three is closed by YouTube, with 34%.


THE CONTRASTS

José Felipe SarmientoEditor in Colombiacheck It is observed that during the first quarter of 2022, 65% of the total consumption was on open TV channels, while the remaining 35% was on pay TV channels”.
Carolina IbargüenGeneral Manager Kantar Ibope Media “Disinformation is very easily camouflaged on social networks. Serious media are competing for attention with a whole host of other content."
Rating
Image taken from larepublica.co

With this panorama, the media have chosen to make a presence in social networks under the 'multi-platform' concept, while the role of OTT, streaming such as Netflix or Disney +, "over-the-top" platforms that offer video content to over the internet.


"The new practices began to be combined with traditional media consumption," says Fabricio Alarcón, Vice President of Media at the Centro Nacional de Consultoría -CNC, who explains that "intensive" audiovisual consumption habits were established during the pandemic, and that is leading to the fact that Colombians today combine OTTs and the use of social networks "with (traditional) linear content, where national private channels are very important."


Despite the fact that everything would seem to point to digital, the truth is that television continues to retain audiences and has become "a complementary medium". To date, it is consumed by 55% of Colombians (in the news spectrum). Kantar Ibope Media reports that 91% of Colombians would have consumed video content on their television daily during the first quarter. Of that percentage, 65% would be open TV channels and 35% pay TV.


“If only the consumption of TV channels is analyzed, on average, more than 87% of households in Colombia watched these signals daily; open TV channels and pay TV channels measured by Kantar”, stressed Carolina Ibargüen, general manager. As for printed news, these have kept 28% of Colombians informed, a growth of four percentage points versus 2021.


And according to the CNC, in the semester the readers of printed press grew 30% in the country.


These results have made both television and the press continue to be attractive for advertising, with investments that exceeded $4.2 billion in 2021 and that by 2022, as of June, amount to $1 billion, according to Asomedios reports. For regional and local TV, the amount invested as of June amounts to $25,378 million, with a variation versus 2021 of 1.3%; the national one reached $498,247% with an increase of 16%; the newspapers took $128,687 million, with 23.5% more. Magazines are the only ones that fall (26.3%) with $4,764 million.


In operating income, Caracol TV leads with $877,481 million in 2021; Disney gains ground in second, with $575,710 million and RCN Television completes the top with $473,199 million.


Article taken from larepuclica.co

By SOFÍA SOLÓRZANO CÁRDENAS

52 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page